Monogatari Watch Order is really complex as it has 11 different adaptations. As I said the Monogatari series has a complex timeline and therefore we have organized it in release order and chronological order keeping in mind both the light novels and anime series. For the anime adaptations, there are five main seasons which are listed as the First season, Second season, Final season, off-season, and Monster season.
I have listed here different Watch Orders for Monogatari series lovers. The beginners will have different orders from someone who has already read the light novels. The series basically doesn’t have chronological order and all the seasons are interlinked. The release of the second and the final season mixed up everything and that’s why this series isn’t an ideal one to be watched in chronological order. But, don’t worry stay with us and we will guide you through completely how to watch the Monogatari series in the right order.
What Order Should I Watch Monogatari?
I will be listing here multiple watch orders and you can go with whatever you like. Each order comes with its own pros and cons. The series is complicated when it comes to storytelling and plot building so that’s why we have here multiple orders of Monogatari.
Before anything else, check the proper breakdown of all the seasons from first to last.
- First season – Bakemonogatari, Nisemonogatari, Nekomonogatari black and Kizumonogatari
- Second season – Nekomonogatari White, Kabukumonogatari, Hanamonogatari, Otorimonogatari, Onimonogatari and Koimonogatari
- Final season – Tsukimonogatari, Koyomimonogatari, Owarimongatari, Zoku Owarimonogatari
First- Time Viewers
If you are watching the series for the first time then this order is for you. The order listed below is the same order that has been intended by SHAFT. The first time Monogatari viewers should watch the series in this order.
Recommended for you: Magi Watch Order
The Kizumonogatari is the origin story but it has been shown later on as the finale. With this order, some might say that first-time viewers will get confused and will not get answers to so many questions. But, that’s not the case because other seasons and storylines provide enough information to get the idea of the entire storyline.
Kizumonogatari is the origin story but you can leave it just to avoid confusion and I will provide you a helpful guide on this later so keep reading. We’ll discuss this in detail later. For now, here’s the release order of the Monogatari series.
|Season||Release Year & Info|
|1. Bakemonogatari||(2009) – Stories of Mayoi Snail, Hitagi Crab, Nadeko Snake, Suruga Money, and Tsubasa Cat|
|2. Nisemonogatari||(2012) – Stories of the Tsukihi Phoenix and the Karen Bee|
|4. Nekomonogatari Kuro||(2012) – The prequel story of the Tsubasa Family|
|5. Monogatari Series Second Season||(2013) – This contains a larger bulk of the single-story novels, including Mayoi Jiangshi, Shinobu Time, Tsubasa Tiger, and Hitagi End|
|6. Hanamonogatari||(2014) – Story of the Suruga Devil|
|7. Tsukimonogatari||(2014) – Story of the Yotsugi Doll|
|8. Owarimonogatari||(2015) – The Ougi Formula, The Sodachi Lost, Sodachi Riddle, and the Shinobu Mail Stories|
|9. Koyomimonogatari||(2016) – Tells 12 different stories about Koyomi|
|10. Owarimnonogatari (Part 2)||(2017) – Story of the Hitagi Rendezvous, Ougi Dark stories, and the Arargi Koyomi story, including other stories that might spoil the storyline|
|11. Zoku Owarimonogatari||(2018) – This installment was initially released as a movie but will be screened as a 6-episode screening in 2019. It is the Koyomi reverse story|
- Bakemonogatari (2009)
- Nisemonogatari (2012)
- Nekomonogatari Kuro (2012)
- Monogatari Series Second Season (2013)
- Hanamonogatari (2014)
- Tsukimonogatari (2014)
- Owarimonogatari (2015)
- Koyomimonogatari (2016)
- Owarimnonogatari (Part 2) (2017)
- Zoku Owarimonogatari (2018)
- Orokamonogatari (TBA)
- Wazamonogatari (TBA)
- Nademonogatari (TBA)
- Musubimonogatari (TBA)
- Shinobumonogtari (TBA)
- Yoimonogatari (TBA)
- Amarimonogatari (TBA)
- Ougimonogatari (TBA)
- Shimonogatari (TBA)
If you are an avid anime fan then this chronological order of Monogatari is for you. There is so much to explore in this series as you get to see a new character in every new arc and season. So, for the second time, there are still so many characters and plots to enjoy.
Chronological order is ideal for advanced fans. You can watch in this order if you aren’t confused if there is some information. If you know how to connect the dots and like some mystery element then give this order a try. This order is not recommended for first-time watchers. This order has some time skips and some information and plot development missing. So, watch it if you know it will not mess up your watching experience.
- Nekomonogatari (Black)
- Owarimonogatari Vol. 2
- Nekomonogatari (White)
- Owarimonogatari Vol. 1
- Owarminogatari Vol. 3
- Zoku Owarimonogatari
- Orokamonogatari (Suruga Bonehead)
- Orokamonogatari (Tsukihi Undo)
Light Novel Release Order – The Nisio Isin Order
I highly recommend this order because this is how the series was originally planned by the author. Note that if you watch in this order, you will need to watch Hanamonogatari in between Second Season after the 10th Episode.
- Bakemonogatari (2006) – Stories of Mayoi Snail, Hitagi Crab, Nadeko Snake, Suruga Money, and Tsubasa Cat.
- Kizumonogatari (2008) – The prequel to the Monogatari series.
- Nisemonogatari (2008-2009) – Stories of the Tsukihi Phoenix and the Karen Bee.
- Nekomonogatari Black (2010) – The prequel story of the Tsubasa Family
- Nekomonogatari White (2010) – The story of Tsubasa Hanekawa from her own perspective.
- Kabukimonogatari (2010) – A tale of time travel with Araragi Koyomi and Oshino Shinobu.
- Hanamonogatari (2011) – Story of the Suruga Devil.
- Otorimonogatari (2011) – The story of Nadeko Medusa and her journey to be self-reliant.
- Onimonogatari (2011) – The Shinobu Shrine story
- Koimonogatari (2011) – Hitagi Senjougahara makes a deal with the gods to protect Koyomi Araragi.
Recommended for You: Gintama Watch Order
- Tsukimonogatari (2012) – Story of the Yotsugi Doll
- Koyomimonogatari (2013) – Tells 12 different stories about Koyomi.
- Owarimonogatari (2013-2014) – The Ougi Formula, The Sodachi Lost, Sodachi Riddle, and the Shinobu Mail Stories.
- Zoku Owarimonogatari (2014) – This installment was initially released as a movie, but will be screened as a 6-episode screening in 2019. It is the Koyomi reverse story.
- Orokamonogatari (2015) – Stories of Sodachi Fiasco, Suruga Bonehead, and Tsukihi Undo.
- Wazamonogatari (2016) – The Cruel Fairy Tale: Princess Fair
- Nademonogatari (2016) – The story of Nadeko Draw
- Musubimonogatari (2017) – Four stories of Zenka Mermaid, Mitome Wolf, Nozomi Golem and Tsuzura Human.
- Shinobumonogatari (2017) – Tale of Shinobu Oshino, the Kanji.
- Yoimonogatari (2018) – Araragi and the Loli trio look into the possible kidnapping of a young girl.
- Amarimonogatari (TBA) – Upcoming story of Yotsugi Body and Yotsugi Shadow.
- Ougimonogatari (TBA) – Upcoming story of Ougi Light and Ougi Fright.
- Shinomonogatari (TBA) – Upcoming stories of Deathtopia Destiny, Deathtopia Death Education, and Deathtopia Destination.
“Kizumonogatari First” Order – When to Watch Kizumonogatari
Well, when it comes to watching Kizumonogatari, fans are always confused about when to watch it. This is a Prequel and you might want to watch it first and get the backstory of the entire series. So, here’s a useful guide for you.
Between Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari
If you watch it between Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari then you will get a picture of the Monogatari universe. Furthermore, Kizumonogatari will also give hints about how the story will roll on.
Watching Before Bakemonogatari
Keeping in mind that this is a prequel so according to the author watching it before Bakemonogatari isn’t recommended. But if you want you can even watch it before any other series but I would recommend following the advice of the author would be ideal.
Between Owarimonogatari and Koyomimonogatari
I would recommend watching it between Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari. The story will not deteriorate and this is the pattern that Nisio Isin has recommended as well. The perfect place to watch Kizumonogatari is between Owarimonogatari and Koyomimonogatari.
Where Do I Start the Monogatari Series?
After checking out all the above possible orders you still might be unsure of where to start. I think the best watch order is Nisio Isin’s order and you should give that order a try. Because this is the original order as released by the author Nisio Isin. All the changes being made to the watch order are intentional and you can go with whatever you find right. But I would suggest that you should stick with the Nisio Isin watch order of Monogatari.
When you follow this route, you will be enjoying the storyline as intended by the author. You will have an experience which that author originally planned for you. It is essentially one big supernatural story that tells it by jumping around on the timeline at certain points.
It is definitely a show that requires your full attention. It is a hard anime to follow at times so don’t worry if you can’t get it.
Thank you for reading the Monogatari Watch Order, and I hope you will love this masterpiece of a series as much as I did.